K2 BREEDE RIVER CANOE MARATHON 2018 – 25th and 26th August 2018
GENERAL RULES AND INFORMATION:
The Entry fee is R750.00 per paddler for Senior paddlers, R690.00 per paddler for U23 paddlers and R630.00 per paddler for Junior (U18) paddlers.
There is no entry fee to the venues at the end points of Day 1 or Day 2.
ENTRY CLOSING DATES:
Normal entries now close at 24h00 on Sunday 19 August 2018.
Late entries will be accepted up till 24h00 on Tuesday 21 August 2018 at an extra cost of R160.00 per paddler (i.e R910.00 for seniors, R850.00 for U23’s and R790.00 for juniors).
Seedings may not be allocated to paddlers whose entries are received after 12 August 2018 i.e. they will need to start in the batch allocated, typically the last batch.
Late entries will receive no race merchandise.
1. Entries are online
2. Entry fees are to be deposited into:
Milnerton Canoe Club,
Account Number: 1093074590,
Branch Code: 109309
NB: PLEASE ENTER YOUR CSA REGISTRATION NUMBER(S) AS REFERENCE. You do not need to submit proof of payment, but please retain it for submission if requested.
Each entrant must be a registered, paid up member of an affiliated canoe club & CSA.
The race is open to ‘AR’ and ‘BR’ rated paddlers.
(AR = Qualified to paddle A grade rivers/River proficiency + 6 river races)
(BR = Qualified to paddle B grade rivers/River proficiency + 3 river races)
(CR/FW = Qualified to paddle C grade rivers/River proficiency + 3 time trials)
A paddler with a ‘CR/FW’ rating will only be considered for acceptance if paddling in a K2 with an ‘AR’ rated partner.
K3’s – If a CR/FW paddler enters in a K3, the other 2 paddlers must be A rated, with at least one being a senior paddler.
Juniors and Minimum Age:
Junior under 16:
May not participate in a K1.
May participate in a K2 but if not ‘AR’ rated, must have an adult partner who is ‘AR’ rated that has completed 10 Breede’s or equivalent multi day events.
The junior must turn 15 in the year of the race i.e. they may be 14 on the day of the race, but must turn 15 on or before 31 December.
Juniors under 16:
If two juniors wish to paddle together in a K2, both must be ‘AR’ rated.
Both juniors must be 15 on the day of the race.
Juniors under 18:
Both paddlers must be ‘AR’ rated.
A ‘BR’ junior can enter in a K3, provided the other 2 paddlers are adult ‘AR’ rated paddlers
Any queries with regard to these qualifying rules must be directed to the paddler’s own Canoe Union as the race organisers will not be replying to any queries with regard to qualifying rules.
1. CSA marathon rules apply.
2. Kayak jackets are compulsory.
3. Sufficient buoyancy in front of (min 10 liters) and behind (min 10 liters) the cockpit is compulsory.
4. No outside assistance unless in an emergency.
5. Paddles and canoes, may be replaced. If canoes are replaced there will be an automatic 60 minute time penalty applied.
6. Appeals have to be lodged within one hour of paddlers finishing & must be in writing, together with a fee of R50.00 (refundable if successful).
7. Officials reserve the right to take disciplinary steps at any time during the race.
8. Starting format: Batches of +/- 40 in a batch for Day 1. Elapsed time starts, will be applied on Day 2. Day 2 batches may be bigger than Day 1. (Final batch allocations may take river conditions into account).
9. It is the paddler’s responsibility to know the dangers on the river and have sufficient skills and have done enough preparation to manage these dangers safely.
10. Seeded lady paddlers may start in their own batch on Day 1. On Day 2 they will start according to their finishing time in the overall field.
11. K3’s will start in their own batch on Day 1. K3 starting order for Day 2 will be decided after examining the times for Day 1. K3’s will not be included in the K2 elapsed time start on Day 2.
12. River conditions may require compulsory portages. Failure to abide by instructions for compulsory portages will result in disqualification.
13. There will be a thirty (30) second penalty applied for jumped starts. The third (3rd ) warning from the starter will result in an automatic penalty.
14. SUPs are allowed to enter, provided they meet the entry criteria. Life jackets and helmets are compulsory. SUPs need to give way to canoeists.
15. The race officials and organisers reserve the right to prohibit juniors and certain paddlers from taking part on the mornings of the race, if conditions are not deemed to be safe for certain classes of paddler.
Seeding will be done according to the latest entry requirement ruling of CSA. All paddlers have to enter before 24h00 on Sunday 12th August 2018 to be considered for a seeding. Seeding will be communicated via SMS and at the start area on Day 1. Day 2 start times will be communicated via SMS.
In the interests of safety and to ensure everyone completes the race in an acceptable time, slower paddlers may be placed in higher batches, especially on Day 2. Slower paddlers must please ensure they do not interfere with “racing,” if they are placed in higher batches, in higher batches, especially on the start line.
Saturday 25 August – 10h00:
Robertson to Riggton Farm (33.5km)
Race briefing will be at 09h30.
There will be a separate compulsory 3 minute race briefing from the starter for A batch front row at 09h20 i.e. before getting on the water for warm up.
Sunday 26 August – 08h30:
Riggton Farm to to Kam’bati River Resort (33.5km)
Race briefing will be at 08h15.
THE FINISH AND PRIZE GIVING:
The finish will be at Kam’bati River Resort near Swellendam.
** Prizegiving will start before 14h00 **
It should be noted that prize giving may start before the last paddlers are off the water.
Camping and accommodation is available at both finish venues.